Thursday, May 04, 2006

No glee over this anthem

Today's fuss in the puppet theater seems to be over altering The Star-Spangled Banner. Those rascally Spanish speakers have (gasp) sung the National Anthem in Spanish. And changed some words in the second stanza! How dare they?!

Did Britons, I wonder, have such a cow over God Save the Queen being bastardized as My Country 'Tis of Thee?

Surely this is the most flagrant abuse of a venerated song since This Old Man was translated into Barney-speak. The culprits deserve to be knick-knack paddy-whacked on the public square.

I think it's only appropriate that we join in solidarity with those who object, and sing a rousing chorus of the words as they were originally written. Ready? All together now:

To Anacreon in Heaven, where he sat in full glee,
A few sons of harmony sent a petition,
That he their inspirer and patron should be.
When this answer arrived from that jolly old Grecian:
Voice, fiddle and flute no longer be mute,
I’ll lend you my name and inspire you to boot,
And besides I’ll instruct you like me to entwine
The myrtle of Venus with Bacchus’ vine."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home